The New York Library Association is now accepting submissions for the 2009 NYLA Poster Sessions & NYLA Diversity Fair to take place at this year’s Annual Conference in Niagara Falls, NY. Complete details are located on the web at http://www.nyla.org/index.php?page_id=1180. The deadline for submitting for 2009 is midnight on Tuesday, May 5, 2009.
WHAT IS A POSTER SESSION?
A poster session is an opportunity for several presenters to share information about a research problem, project, or study with many colleagues by developing a table-top display on a set of poster boards. Several posters are available at one time with the presenters standing by their table to talk informally about the project with interested participants. The poster may include printed materials, graphics, and additional handouts. The session will last one and a half hours and presenters should remain close to their displays for questions and discussion during this time.
WHAT IS THE DIVERSITY FAIR?
The NYLA Diversity Fair celebrates examples of diversity in the libraries of New York State and showcases possibilities for libraries who are in search of “diversity in action” ideas. Examples can include, but are not limited to, multilingual and multicultural programs, activities and services, creating and sustaining literacy (new and non-readers and other literacy issues), in-depth collection development projects, outreach services, service to people with disabilities, mobile library services, technology, and innovative services to other underserved or underrepresented communities.
Similar to the Poster Sessions, the NYLA Diversity Fair offers a more focused venue for presenters to highlight the work of librarians, library staff and library supporters in the realm of diversity.
Presenters are encouraged to share their success stories, experiences and resources through poster presentations and informal conversations with colleagues. The Diversity Fair will last an hour and a half and presenters should remain close to their displays for questions and discussion during this time. Consider sharing your library’s/community organization’s accomplishments and help inspire others interested in celebrating diversity!
NYLA colleagues are invited to submit proposals for either a Poster Session or the Diversity Fair at the NYLA Conference in Niagara Falls, NY. Poster Sessions will take place on Friday, October 16 from 11:00 am – 12:30 pm. The NYLA Diversity Fair will take place on Thursday, October 15 from 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM. Proposals should be submitted on the attached form by May 5, 2009.
These proposals will be reviewed by a subcommittee of the Conference Program Committee and you will be notified of acceptance by June 30, 2009.
For any questions regarding the poster sessions or Diversity Fair, please contact:
POSTER PRESENTATION TIPS
– Abstract (Brief)
– Problem Statement
– Conclusion/Summary of Findings
– Contact Information (only necessary if w/o business cards or handouts w/ this info)
TEXT: Should be legible from a couple of feet away. Title should stand-alone or at least appear as a large header and be separated from other text.
GRAPHICS: Should enhance and help to easily distinguish concepts. Too much color and crowding of images can confuse the onlooker. It also helps to use arrows or other directional pointers if certain sections should be read in a specific order.
WHAT YOU SHOULD PROVIDE:
- Poster board (you can buy folding posters specifically for this type of presentation) and all the materials needed to attach the materials to the poster board (glue, staples, tape, etc.)
- An interesting project described with an abstract, information about the activity, results or outcomes, some graphics or pictures, handouts, business cards, and a signup sheet if people want to be contacted afterwards.
- A person to be with the poster during the one-hour session to talk about the project.
- A person to set the poster up before 1:00 pm and to take it down after the session by 3:00 pm.
NYLA WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Standard six-foot tables with drape.
- Early Access to the display area to enable to poster to be set up. Times to be relayed as we get closer to the event.
NYLA WILL NOT PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING
- No materials (such as boards, scissors, tape, glue, staples) for poster displays.
- No electricity or power outlets or internet access.
- No travel support for presenters
Deadline for applications is May 5, 2009. Candidates will be notified by or on June 30, 2009.
New York Library Association
6021 State Farm Road
Guilderland, NY 12084
518-432-6952 Ext. 102
Spring Into Action and be entered to win FREE registration to this year’s Conference.
NYLA’s Annual Conference: October 14 – 17th in Niagara Falls, NY